unusual..

9:15am Churchgate fast local. Ladies compartment, usual crowd. But something unusual today. Something or I should say someone unusual. That face which didn’t belong to that place. She was sitting there on a forth seat. Everyone who entered kept asking here as to where she wanted to get down. She didn’t reply she kept looking at everyone, and she kept quite. I looked into her eyes, and could only see one thing fear. I wondered what was she afraid of. She wore an outfit with all possible colours in the colour palate, silver jewellery all over her, oiled hair. And she bared a smell, not of any perfume but may be a smell of that place where she belonged, may be a smell of all those sweaty days, or may be just a smell of her poverty. She kept sitting there, and someone or the other kept asking her. I turned and looked at her once. But there was one thing i could not miss about her, her eyes. At that moment I felt as if she was wrapped in her cocoon and the only thing which visible was, her eyes. She got up finally, i thought she will get down, but she went near the door and stood at the corner. She looked around and saw everyone giving there glance to her. Then she looked down looked at her feet, she kept looking down. I wondered what she must be thinking of, nothing came to my mind. May be because we belonged to different place, or belonged to different worlds all together. It was time for me to get down so i went to the door. I kept looking at her, hoping for some communication, so that i could help her. But there was nothing. At one moment she looked up her eyes moved and they meet mine i gave her a small smile, cos i thought that was the only possible way of communication. I think she smiled back at me, or it was just her eyes, or my assumption. But they were still scared, lost, confused. Some aunty asked her again where she had to go, she said nothing, and she got down. Did she really know where she had to go, or people forced her to get down. Train moved on but my mind was stuck, it reminded me of that theory in science taught to us. The theory of evolution, ‘survival of the fitessed’. And i think it still applies to us, we the so called evolved human beings...

Comments

rauf said…
imagine me sitting there Darshana, in place of the girl, though not in a local. i seem to draw similar attention. May be because of my looks, i look like a gorilla and i look like a certified idiot, which i am, with my mouth open gaping at people. i have spent half my life in the trains, ok thoda wide phek diya. Not half my life, i travel a lot and i love bhartiya Railways, reserved unreserved, dhakke' waali gaadi. i get curious looks. They ask questions, mostly where i am from and where i am going. Then they get personal, ask me about my family, i say i have no family but i have adoring sisters and i live with them and i am a pampered brat. i have no wife and children i say. then it pours, their kindness really pours, they offer me all they eat and treat me like an orphan child, i am a sadak chap and i am a phateechar.
'Bechaara is duniya mei Akela hai' no no no i am not alone, i have sisters nephew niece and i have lots of friends, i say and they laugh at my clumsy confused behaviour.

The girl you mention, her attire sounds like a lombardi tribal from Andhra, they have their own dialect and don't speak any other language, they are banjaaras. But difficult to find them in Mumbai. or she must be a Rajasthani villager.
survival of the fittest is a harsh reality of life. It is Herbert Spencer who came up with that title for the theory of evolution which was not accepted and his contemporary Darwin's theory of natural selection was approved. Russel Wallace (same birthday as mine) was another naturalist who worked independently in amazon basin and came up with the same conclusions.
Your observations are very sharp. i think human evolution is going in the wrong direction.

i have to tell you Darshana that your writing style is improving with every post and you are holding the reader's attention.
hey Darshana, i like the look of ur blog :) nice
D@r$hi said…
: @rauf
Hey ruaf thanks a lot for ur comment, and all ur visits to my blog. Sorry that many times i don’t reply to ur comment but i do read them... i don’t really know whether my writing style is improving or not.. but i am really happy for this post of mine cos i got to know so much about u, and so many personal things.. so i guess this post is good for that reason at least for me. But to tell u something my writings for blog are nothing intentional and aren’t with extra efforts to put up anything super cool or anything...they are just my thoughts and my observation. Talking about observation i would thanks architecture to teach me how to observe and learn..
I haven’t meet u so cant really comment about ur looks and appearance, but with all ur writings i can say one thing u r an amazing person by heart, and really talented intellectual person..and according to me if the person is reach by heart external appearance doesn’t count...at least to me..
D@r$hi said…
:@ crescentina

thank you..

Popular posts from this blog

nikhil

my garden tails (tales)!!

It’s just green